The Unique Student Identifier (USI) is a reference number that is required if you are a new or continuing student undertaking either accredited vocational study or accredited higher education study at AIM, AIM Business School or ACHW.

This reference number is made up of a combination of ten numbers and letters, it is free and easy to create and stays with you for life.

More information is available at

Who does the government require to have a USI?

You need a USI if you are:

  • undertaking Nationally Recognised Training 
  • a higher education student seeking Commonwealth financial assistance (eg a FEE-HELP loan)
  • a higher education student graduating in 2023 or beyond.

Without one, you will not be able to get your qualification or statement of attainment.

How do I create of check if I have a USI?

If have studied any Nationally Recognised Training in the last five years, it is likely you already have a USI. You can check and confirm here.

To create a USI go here. You will need to have a valid form of identification.

It is important that you only have one USI to ensure that you receive your correct entitlements.

Please keep your USI safe, AIM, AIM Business School or ACHW cannot access it for you if you forget it.

When will you need to provide your USI to AIM?

If you are a new AIM Business School or ACHW higher education or AIM vocational student in 2021, you will be asked to provide your USI as part of the AIM enrolment process.

If you are a continuing AIM vocational student you will have already provided AIM with your USI.

If you are a continuing higher education student with AIM Business School or ACHW and you change programs from 2021, you will be asked to provide your USI as part of your new enrolment or on your Commonwealth assistance form (if accessing a Commonwealth supported place or a FEE-HELP loan) for your new program.

What happens if I do not provide a USI

If you do not provide, or AIM, AIM Business School or ACHW cannot verify your USI with the Australian Government, you may not be able to graduate or receive any form of Commonwealth Assistance. This means you will be charged the Fee-Paying rate or you may lose your place in your program.